February 09, 2021
Petition: CALL ON THE LIBYAN GOVERNMENT TO INVESTIGATE MASS GRAVES
We, the undersigned Members of the House of Commons and House of Lords, express our deep concern about the recent reports of uncovering yet another mass grave in the city of Tarhouna in Libya.
The Government of National Accord (GNA) says it uncovered 27 mass graves in the country since June. In 2015, the al-Kani militia, known as Kaniyat, took control of the town, where according to Human Rights Watch, 2338 residents have been reported missing since then.
The al-Kani militia is supported by forces loyal to Khalifa Haftar, who is supported by countries such as the UAE, and by mercenaries such as the Wagner Group, which is made of mercenaries from Russia.
According to Human Rights Watch, the militia often abducted, detained, tortured, killed, and disappeared people who opposed them or who were suspected of doing so.
To this end, we call on the European Union and the GNA to:
- The GNA should investigate what happened to the missing residents.
- The EU should provide forensics experts and conduct DNA testing to help with the GNA’s gravesite investigations.
- Her Majesty’s Government should pressure parties to the conflict including countries that support them such as the UAE and mercenaries such as the Wagner Group to leave Libya immediately.
- The EU should support political dialogue between Libyan parties to the conflict and make sure that those responsible for these crimes are held accountable.
- Libyan warring parties should put the interests of their country first and end all forms of hostilities which would only increase civilian casualties.
- Kenny MacAskill, MP.
- Baroness Harris of Richmond.
- Baroness Eaton.
- Claudia Webbe, MP.
- Baroness (Ruth) Lister of Burtersett.
- Lord POPAT.
- Lord RENNARD.
- Yasin Mohammad, MP.
- Ian PAISLEY, MP.
- Lord Judd.
- Layla Moran, MP.